top of page
A680FEC5-DF12-4736-A666-64D065B2E973.jpeg

HISTORY OF THE YE OLDE PLANK INN

24 PALM AVENUE, IMPERIAL BEACH, CALIFORNIA


The building, 24 Palm Avenue, has been around since 1886.  The area by the beach was the location of the horse stables and loading area for the supplies used to build the Hotel Del Coronado.  Remember, Coronado was an island until the Army Corps of Engineers built the Silver Strand in 1924.  The building has 4 addresses, 24, 26, 28 and 30 Palm Avenue.  Over the years, the building has housed numerous businesses.  These businesses include, Russo Market, Millers Market, Patio 24 and one of the first Surfboard Showrooms in Southern California in the early 1950’s.

In February 1964 the Ye Olde Plank became a beer and wine bar.  In February 1969, Alan Winkleman purchased the Ye Olde Plank Inn with his wife Betty Mae.  He ran the business until his passing in June of 2016 and passed it down to his nephew John Perno, who operated the business until he sold the Ye Olde Plank Inn to Martin R. Mattes a retired Command Master Chief and Tony Cornett a former Navy SEAL and a Private Contractor for Trident Group in June 2022. 

The Ye Olde Plank Inn is the oldest bar located in Imperial Beach.  The operating hours are from 6:00 AM until 2:00 AM daily and is open every day of the year, rain or shine!  We are open on all holidays as well.

Enjoy our daily drink specials, outstanding atmosphere, world class patio and food. Come on down and enjoy the world famous Ye Olde Plank Inn located at 24 Palm Avenue, Imperial Beach, California.

About: About
bottom of page